ELL: Re: indigenous

Joan Smith/Kocamahhul j.smith at LING.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Thu Jun 21 04:54:00 UTC 2001

This is partly my reason for asking - the community I'm interested in
are Arabic speakers in Turkey. As far as I've been able to find out the
communities were originally Aramaic- and Greek-speaking (Greek in the
cities, Aramaic in the rural areas), but there have been Arabic-speakers
in the Area for approxiamately 1000 years, whereas the Turkish-speakers
are comparatively newcomers. Is this the Guarani problem again? Somehow
I think the tendency is to disregard Arabic as an 'indigenous' language
either because so many people speak it or because it is an 'oppressor'
language (even though in Turkey it isn't).

--
Joan Smith/Kocamahhul
Department of Linguistics

e-mail: j.smithkocamahhul at ling.canterbury.ac.nz