No subject

Dennis Holt dionisio77 at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 13 14:14:32 UTC 2001

Dear ELLers (ELLists?),

I recently came across the following pertinent poetic
statement from Octavio Paz that I'd like to share with
you. Perhaps not all of you have already seen it:

“What sets worlds in motion is the interplay of
differences, their attractions and repulsions.  Life
is plurality, death is uniformity.  By suppressing
differences and peculiarities, by eliminating
different civilizations and cultures, progress weakens
life and favors death.  The ideal of a single
civilization for everyone, implicit in the cult of
progress and technique, impoverishes and mutilates us.
 Every view of the world that becomes extinct, every
culture that disappears, diminishes a possibility of
life.”
							Octavio Paz (1967)

This great poet was clearly up on the bandwagon quite
early.  ¡Sigamos rodando arriba y adelante!

Infracomandante Nicho (Dennis Holt)

http://auctions.yahoo.com/
----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au