ELL: RE: Percentage of Language

Matthew McDaniel akha at LOXINFO.CO.TH
Wed May 30 14:35:20 UTC 2001

Mike:

I would agree that English and Wetern culture is more in boxes.  Other
cultures are more wholistic.

I would tend to agree with them, and find that western culture has more
been set up for empire, and how rapidly and repetively an item can be
exploited, a people, a resources, time, you name it.  Religion? Why of
course.

To me this is the great weakness of Christianity, and I would seperate this
out as from what Jesus taught or Biblical text, but Christianity in the
western sense of what western people have done with that Biblical text and
its close relationship to the subjugation of peoples and the building of
empires.

This might make one ask why missions are so busy pushing all to our kind of
thinking unless it has to more with the empire than God, which of course in
my thinking it does, the greatest deception of our time.

But I was more getting at the point that in some cultures it might not be
readily possible to seperate the religion out of the language, as some of
my friends have pointed out about Hebrew.

Really the underpinnings of the language are the religion and vice versa.

I tend to find the same thing in my experiences with the Akha people and
their culture and language.

I am entering this as a kind of math.

What I am getting at is that if the language is made up in its majority by
the nuances of religious, cultural and legal thought, then if you ban the
culture, how much of the language have you also banned?

Nearly all of it.

So if a person was concerned about endangered language, and the effect of
missions was to eliminate people's culture, thus their language, would not
the tactics of traditional missions be of great concern to one working on
endangered languages.

I am not seeking an argument here, but there is this undeniable sequence I
see laid out.

I can readily compare long standing Christian Akha villages, and ongoing
traditional ones.

The conversation in the Christian villages is very limited.  In the
traditional villages, it is very holistic, and we talk about everything, no
lines, everything flowing back and forth about the law, ceremonies,
illness, work in the fields, these days we don't work, when you can and can
not cut bamboo etc.

The missions in Thailand have totally ended this in the Christian villages.
There is no such discussion over a broad range of subjects.

I venture a question in a christian village and the general look of the
Akha person is either to laugh very uncomfortably or look like they just
got slapped and really don't have an answer, a very awkward position for an
Akha if you know these people a little bit.

This sequence of math, reality, action, result, is something that I think
is being overlooked when scientific equiry should not be ruling it out, no
matter what one's persuasion.

I don't mind that many people don't want to talk about this, but I would
like to see how they do the math.

Matthew McDaniel

--

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee
only. It may contain confidential or sensitive information.

Any views expressed in this message are solely those of
Matthew McDaniel and The Akha Heritage Foundation.
Nothing in this message should be
construed as creating a contract. Thank you.

http://www.akha.org

Credit Card Donation Site:

http://www.drugwar.com/store/proddetail.cfm?ItemID=12&CategoryID=6

Your donation goes to infant care, vitamins, medical supplies, wells, bread
and fish for the villages.

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304  USA

----