ELL: Language Shift and Gender

Patrick E. Marlow ffpem at UAF.EDU
Wed Nov 7 19:12:20 UTC 2001

Dear Colleagues:

I am working on a research project into the interaction between traditional
gender-based communication patterns and language shift. I have had
difficulty locating references through the usual databases/channels and I
was wondering if anyone was aware of work in this area.

Specifically, there may be evidence here in some Alaskan Athabascan
communities, that as language shift occurs, it may overlay traditional
male-female communication patterns such that men are more likely to
continue using the language with other men and speak English with women who
are themselves Native speakers, and vice versa.

This research is only in its initial stages, and among other things, we
still have to investigate traditional Athabascan male-female patterns of
interaction (something else that doesn't appear to be in the literature).

Later this winter we will begin interviewing a few key Elders, with the
point being to begin to define/understand traditional gender-based
interaction patterns and to try and correlate those patterns with modern
language usage. In short, to try and understand the gender-based patterns
that language shift may be overlaying.

 From there we expect to move into schools and see how traditional patterns
of interaction are being undermined/reinforced/??? in the school.

 From there we hope to figure out how to work with existing patterns
(rather than against them) in order to improve language teaching
specifically and education in general.

Any help/references people can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Patrick E. Marlow
Assistant Professor
Alaska Native Language Center