ELL: RE: Language Shift and Gender

Inge Genee inge.genee at ULETH.CA
Thu Nov 8 18:11:38 UTC 2001

While reading some of the replies to your initial inquiry, I was reminded of
something that may or may not be relevant to your work. I used to live in
Amsterdam, which has in recent years absorbed large numbers of foreign workers
and refugees. A large group of these immigrants is Turkish. These are now
beginning to be integrated into Dutch society (although much discussion is
possible about the degree to which this "integration" is real rather than a sort
of two-solitudes type situation), at least insofar as they are moving into middle
class suburban neighbourhoods such as the one I grew up in, about 35 km. from
Amsterdam. A typical pattern in the Turkish families moving into my parents'
neighbourhood (I left there 20 years ago) seems to be: fluently bilingual
children, husband speaks fluent Turkish and fluent Dutch with a Turkish accent,
wife speaks no or very little Dutch (even though she may have been in Holland for
(almost) as many years as her husband and all or most of her children are born
there). While I have always just thought of this and other immigrant situations
as a home-versus-society language issue, there is obviously also a gender issue
at play, since the women are the ones holding on most strongly to the ancestral
language, presumably forced because they are much less able to mix with Dutch
people than their husbands and children. A lot of work has been done on
Turkish-Dutch code-switching and code-mixing, as well as on educational issues
relating to Dutch-as-a-second-language for Turkish (and other immigrant)
children. I am not aware of recent work on the dynamics of mixed language
communication within Turkish families and its gender aspects, but I have not
lived in The Netherlands for the past 6 years and have not kept up with it.
Please let me know if you think this is an avenue which might be relevant for
your project. I will be visiting old colleagues in December and could pass on
your query.
-Inge Genee

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au