ELL: RE: Language Shift and Gender

Inge Genee inge.genee at ULETH.CA
Fri Nov 9 18:33:26 UTC 2001

Just a short reply to some of what Cem Bosdag said. When I said I thought that
the children of my parents' Turkish neighbours speak Turkish fluently, I was
thinking of the fact that when they play in the backyard (which is very close to
my parents' yard) they seem to mix Dutch and Turkish without any trouble,
switching back and forth at will. Of course, this says nothing about their
ability in later life to discuss chemical engineering in Turkish. I have lived
in Canada long enough to recognize this effect: I can talk in Dutch about
anything, except linguistics.
-Inge Genee

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au