ELL: RE: Language Shift and Gender

cem bozdag kebo0002 at STUD.UNI-SB.DE
Mon Nov 12 23:51:56 UTC 2001

Inge wrote:

> Just a short reply to some of what Cem Bosdag said. When I said I thought
that
> the children of my parents' Turkish neighbours speak Turkish fluently, I
was
> thinking of the fact that when they play in the backyard (which is very
close to
> my parents' yard) they seem to mix Dutch and Turkish without any trouble,
> switching back and forth at will. Of course, this says nothing about their
> ability in later life to discuss chemical engineering in Turkish. I have
lived
> in Canada long enough to recognize this effect: I can talk in Dutch about
> anything, except linguistics.
> -Inge Genee

Hello !

I think you didn´t understand that, what I wanted to say. I myself mix up
Turkish with German without any problems. This happens, because I don´t know
the words in Turkish.

For example: Ben bu gün "Bibliothek" ´ e gittim ( I went to the library
today; the word library is not in Turkish, it´s German; the "e" at the end
of Bibiliothek is Turkish for mirroring the movement )
If I know the word in Turkish, I don´t use a German word. I´m sure the
children in the garden mix up Dutch and Turkish, because they don´t know the
words in Dutch or in Turkish. I just want to say, if they mix up the
languages, this is a sign of non-fluency ( does a word like non-fluency
exist? ).

Dank u and regards,

Cem

----