ELL: Re: Literature and endangered languages

Marion Gunn mgunn at UCD.IE
Wed Nov 14 15:46:28 UTC 2001

>However, it is unclear to what extent such events actually contribute to
>language revitalization, i.e. to intergenerational use in the home.
>I would have thought indirectly, by encouraging pride in the native
>language.
>
>Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

I do, and they are painfully simple -- the 'indirect' encouragement of
'pride in the native language', through cultural activities, etc., which
both the native and the foreigner can appreciate, if not share equally in
the understanding of, is all very well, but it does not compare at all to
the PRACTICAL encouragement of use of a language, outside of safe (PC)
socio-educational-cultural coteries.
Hope this helps,
mg

--