ELL: Cultural production

Inge Genee inge.genee at ULETH.CA
Thu Nov 22 19:00:53 UTC 2001

This reminds me of the situation here in Canada. I have only been here for a
few years, but from the beginning I have been enraged by the official policy
of "MULTIculturalism" but "BIlingualism". How can you have MULTIculturalism
without MULTIlingualism? I have asked this question many times and never
received a satisfying answer. I have to understand that French was very
threatened in the 70s etc., I have to see it in the political context of the
day, Trudeaumania and more such stuff, all very nice but not very helpful in
the situation in 2001. Canadians compare themselves first and foremost with
Americans, and tend to be very happy with themselves because since they
officially protect French they are a lot better than the Americans, or so
they think. They feel so virtuous about not forcing the great American
"melting pot" that they don't see that their French policies are in fact
hurting other, much more endangered languages, which include First Nations
languages but also other immigrant languages (other than French, that is).
Or maybe they don't WANT to see it. A good example is the special meaning
the word "bilingual" has here: it means only: English and French, as if
there are no other languages than those two. I now do not use the term any
more to refer to my own children, who speak English and Dutch (and learn
French at school). Even a native speaker of Blackfoot is not designated with
the term "bilingual" here. It drives me crazy!
However, to come back to the point raised by Mauro (which has interesting
parallels with the rise of sub- and international regions within the
European Union), I do NOT think that the way to promote small languages is
to fight the middle sized (or national) ones. That would be throwing away
the baby with the bathwater. In the case of Canada, I am truly and honestly
happy that Canadian French has been saved from what I understand was the
brink of extinction 30 or 40 years ago (although the same cannot be said of
some of the varieties of French spoken in other areas of the country,
including on the northern prairies). The more variation the better. Instead,
we need to work on the premise that a rising tide should raise all ships:
more attention to one minority language should help increase interest for
others. Canadian French, however, seems to help stifling attention for
languages other than itself. Of course, they don't like having it pointed
out to them that there are languages that are MUCH more endangered than
their own. While they fight the "good fight" for monolingual French signage
in Quebec they don't want to hear about what is happening to First Nations
languages right in their own province, or in the rest of the country for
that matter, or how more recent immigrant feel about not having the free
choice to learn French or English.
Nevertheless, fighting against Canadian French in my case, or against
European French in the case of Breton, or against Dutch and German in the
case of Frisian, or what have you, is not what we should be doing, in my
opinion. We should try not to fight "against" other languages but "for" our
own. Widespread bilingualism (in the non-Canadian meaning of the word) is
the way to go.
-Inge Genee

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au