ELL: Re: Literature and endangered languages

deekonda narsingarao deekonda_nr at REDIFFMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 23 16:04:33 UTC 2001

Sir/Ma'am,
I am very grateful for your kind gesture of sharing your valuable ideas. I will be obliged if same sort of communication is continued.

thanking you once again
best wishes
deekonda narsinga rao

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 Toni Waho wrote :
> Warm greetings from Aotearoa!
> I advise you to read Joshua Fishman.
>
> Fishman.J.A.  1976	Bilingual Education: an
> international sociological
> perspective. Rowley:MA: Newbury Housm in
> Jacques.K.(1991).  pp16-111
>
> 1991	Reversing Language Shift; Theoretical and
> Empirical Foundations of
> Assistance to Threatened Languages; Multilingual
> Matters Ltd, Clevedon,
> Philadelphia, Adelaide
>
> 2000a	Business as usual for threatened languages, a
> paper presented to toite
> Kupu, Toi te Mana, Toi te Whenua:  Mäori Development in
> a Global Society,
> Massey University.
>
> 2000b	The Status Agenda in Corpus Planning, in Language
> Policy and Pedagogy,
> Lambert.R.D. and Shohamy.E. John Benjamins Publishing
> Company, Philadelphia.
>
> 2000c	Can threatened languages be saved; Multilingual
> Matters Ltd, Clevedon,
> Philadelphia, Adelaide
>
> This is his famous GIDS table:
>
> Stages of Reversing Language Shift:
> Severity of Intergenerational Dislocation
> (read from the bottom up)
>
> 1.	Education, work sphere, mass media and governmental
> operations at higher
> and nationwide levels.
> 2.	Local/regional mass media and governmental services.
> 3.	The local/regional (i.e. non-neighbourhood) work
> sphere, both among Xians
> and among Yians.
> 4b.	Public schools for Xish children, offering some
> instruction via Xish,
> but substantially under Yish curricular and staffing
> control.
> 4a.	Schools in lieu of compulsory education and
> substantially under Xish
> curricular and staffing control.
>
> 			II.  RLS to transcend to diglossia to its attainment
>
> 5.	Schools for literary acquisition, for the old and
> for the young, and not
> in lieu of compulsory education.
> 6.	The inter
al and demographically