ELL: list purpose

Inge Genee inge.genee at ULETH.CA
Fri Nov 23 18:41:44 UTC 2001

I apologize for posting this to the list, but since Eric Brunner's email makes
me identifiable (I don't assume there are many Europeans with University of
Lethbridge email accounts on this list) I would like to respond briefly to his
criticisms. I apologize for any offense I may have caused. It was certainly not
intended that way.
After my message about Canadian bilingualism, Eric wrote to me asking to pass
his email address on to any speakers of Blackfoot with email accounts I might
know. He did not say he was a Siksika speaker, but that would not have made any
difference to me. I wrote back saying I would be glad to help but asking why he
wanted to contact them. I did this only out of respect for my friends. Just
because someone is a speaker of a minority language does not mean they should
be subjected to me passing on unsolicited email to them from someone about whom
I know no more than that he subscribes to ELL list. I would have done exactly
the same thing if someone had asked me to pass on their email address or help
them get in touch with speakers of Dutch (my own language) or Frisian or any
other language.
I again apologize to anyone who may have interpreted me in the way Eric
suggests, and for taking your time.
Hartelijke groeten,
-Inge Genee

----