ELL: Language policies in USSR

Lucas Husgen lhusgen at KIROGI.DEMON.NL
Tue Nov 27 19:39:55 UTC 2001

Eric Brunner-Williams, man of wisdom and manners has this to say:

> less sturm und drang bitte, more language, and could the two twits who want
> to fulminate about public vs private figure out how to do so off-list, or
> put a "mild hypocracy follows" warning in their subject lines. consistency,
> neh?

This is exactly what I, twit number 1, was talking about. I have no need to find this kind of insultive behaviour in my mailbox, coming from somebody whom I never even met.

I therefore could take Mr. Eric Brunner-Williams to be a stomme dwark, and might add that boors run the world. But I won't: those who start insulting show where they stand in life clearly enough.

By the way, did Mr. Brunner-Williams know that Sturm und Drang was a literary movement, a language orientated movement therefore? The proponents of this movement would not really prefer a word like 'twit', would they? So, could this stop, now- or I'll be quiting the list. As I said, this happens ever so often on mailing lists, I'm fed up with it.

Hartelijke groeten,

Lucas Husgens

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au