ELL: Language policies in USSR

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at NIC-NAA.NET
Tue Nov 27 21:47:54 UTC 2001

> Is that so? I've read in the web (can't remember now
> the address) some Navajo, Lakota... recovery programs,
> ones with more success than others, bearing in mind
> that their circumstances are quite different among
> these languages.

We used to have a list, unfortunately the list manager, a non-indian, has
not seen fit to part with the subscriber list, and the list itself is not
operational.

A good western US resource is News from Native California [1], I can't speak
too highly of this.

For Dine' (aka "Navajo", "Navaho"), the best place to start is with the
Navajo Nation itself, and its school system. If you want to go via email,
I suggest you try the Navajo Nation Agency Network Project (navajo.org).
For postal pointers, go to NNANP and pull up their smail contacts.

For Lakota/Dakota/Nakota there is a lot more variability, and about two
dozen ... what is the word of the day??? ... gulags.

Good luck, and don't forget to actually _take_ an immersion course in an
indigenous language. Theory beats practice ... in theory only.

Eric

Oblig disclaimer: Athabascan in all forms, and Siouxian in all flavors, is
Greek and Turkish to this Indian.

[1] http://www.heydaybooks.com/news/
----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au