ELL: Fonts

Peter Constable Peter_Constable at SIL.ORG
Mon Oct 1 15:58:17 UTC 2001

On 09/22/2001 11:49:25 AM Chuck Coker wrote:

>I can make custom fonts as I need them. I've made TrueType and PostScript
>fonts for Windows in the past. I ~should~ be able to recompile them for
use
>on Macs, but I haven't tried it yet. The biggest problem is that with web
>pages, for example, the user has to download the proper font, install it,
>and ~then~ they can view the pages.

They can view the web pages provided they have *some* font (not
necessarily the one the author used), and provided the data and the font
follow the same encoding conventions. If the data uses some custom
encoding that requires a custom-built font, then that isn't as useful --
the user needs that specific font to read the page. If the data conforms
to a standard -- Unicode -- then fonts that also conform to the standard
can be used.

Font embedding technologies are available from MS and from Netscape, but
unfortunately each works only in certain browsers. The Fairy web server
software can also be used to allow users to view pages even if they don't
have the necessary fonts on their system. I believe it will work with any
browser.

>I haven't had much luck making fonts look as good on the monitor as fonts
>from Monotype, Adobe, et al, although they are still readable. However,
they
>look very good when printed.

Hinting by hand gives good results on screen but takes time. Font tools
like Fontographer can do automated hinting, which can give useful results.
If you want to do hinting by hand, MS's Visual TrueType is one tool you
can use for that purpose. Technologies like ClearType and high resolution
LCD displays may eventually reduce the need for hinting, but for now font
hinting is still important.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable at sil.org>