ELL: Fonts

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at MAIL.VICNET.NET.AU
Sun Sep 23 12:58:10 UTC 2001

catch twenty two.

most web browsers wouldn't be able to do anything with web fonts. And the web
fonts are also tied to teh operating system , ie Windows. So web fonts will not
work with Unix, Linux or MacOS.

there is a server side slution called "Fairy", by a company borware, which will
give you much wider support and tends to be OS and browser independant. But
working in the community sector, expensive commercial products aren't a viable
option for the projects I work on.

I suspect that Opera would ignore the web fonts. I'll test when i get back to
work next week. But since Opera doesn't support Unicode last time I looked, I
don't use it much.

Nut then I'm in a slightly different position to most web developers. I get to
tell the target audience how to configure their computers, and currently all new
computers they recieve are preconfigured with all the necessary fonts on them.

One point worth noting both netscape 4 and IE can be configured to not use them.
So if you do rely on web fonts, you never know if the end user can use them, so
I always provide instructions and links to appropraite fonts on my sites, even
if I use web fonts.

Quoting Andreas Kyriacou <andreas at kyriacou.ch>:

> Andrew Cunningham wrote:
>
> > as an exercise i used a javascript routine to detect if the browser
> was
> > netscape
> > 4 or IE and insert in netscapes case a link to a dynamic font, and in
>
> > IE's case
> > some CSS which identified an embeded open type font source.
>
> Just out of interest: What do you do if you detect another browser?
> Or if a browser like Opera masks itself as NS or IE but still behaves
> differently?
>
> Andreas
>
> ---
> Andreas Kyriacou, Spitalgasse 8, CH-8001 Zürich, +41 1 253 1896
> ----
> Endangered-Languages-L Forum:
> endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au
> Web pages http://cleo.murdoch.edu.au/lists/endangered-languages-l/
> Subscribe/unsubscribe and other commands:
> majordomo at cleo.murdoch.edu.au
> ----

Andrew Cunningham
Multilingual Technical Project Officer
Accessibility and Evaluation Unit, Vicnet
State Library of Victoria,
Australia

andrewc at vicnet.net.au
----