ELL: Wall Street Journal editorial

Mauro Tosco mauro.tosco at LIBERO.IT
Wed Apr 3 20:27:21 UTC 2002

Wait a moment... you say that minority-language speakers in Azerbaijan want
their children to speak good Azeri because otherwise they will not get the
best jobs. Right?
Well, this is not different from what happens in e.g., France and possibly
everywhere (certainly most in "developed" countries, for reasons I'll
explain below): you can be a Breton speaker but you won't get a good job
unless you speak perfect French. On the other hand, you can still get a good
job even without speaking perfect Breton. So, why to bother about
transmitting Breton to children?

My point is that such choices are not economic - they are political. Since
1991 in Azerbaijan they want to speak good Azeri; before 1991 I guess they
wanted to speak good Russian. If tomorrow Azerbaijan will be a part of Iran,
Georgia or Papua New Guinea they'll want to speak yet another language. They
do because in a modern society, and especially so in a modern society with
welfare, etc., the government controls many - often most - jobs, directly or
indirectly. And the richer the country, the more involvement with the
government you'll have - because the government will be able to "offer more"
to the citizens. You simply cannot afford not to know well the "national"
language: it is a matter of getting jobs, security, taking part in the
political life, etc.
In such a situation, to focus on the right to have education in one's own
language is to delude oneself, and offers a convenient alibi to the
government.
Mauro

----
Ël di 4/3/02 5:11 PM, John & Debbie Clifton, debbie-john_clifton at SIL.ORG a
l'ha scrivù:

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au