Reply to" ELL: Requesting your assistance"

Akira Y. Yamamoto akira at KU.EDU
Wed Apr 17 15:19:19 UTC 2002

Good question, Lakhan.   This is the first of the series and they are going
to continue with the project with the second and third.  I do not know
exactly what criteria they used to select those geographical areas, but
they will cover the whole world.  For example, North America is not a part
of this first project, perhaps because we have had a good coverage as
compared with other regions.   Akira

>Dear Akira,
>
>I received your mail through ELL List titled"ELL: Requesting your
>assistance" where you have mentioned the areas where languages are in
>Endangerment. Most of the world is covered in this list, I appreciate
>this. But there is no mention of SOUTH ASIA: India, Pakistan, Nepal, sri
>Lanka, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Malidives.....
>
>Do you think that There is NO endangered language in these countries?
>Whereas, according to rough estimate about ONE THOUSAND endangered
>dialects/languages are there in South Asia.
>
>Hope you will the consider this.
>
>All the best,
>
>Lakhan Gusain, Ph.D.
>Faculty
>Department of Asian Languages & Cultures
>3070, Frieze Building
>University of Michigan
>Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1285 (USA)

Akira Y. Yamamoto