ELL: Requesting your assistance

Akira Y. Yamamoto akira at KU.EDU
Thu Apr 18 04:14:01 UTC 2002

Dear Randy and all:
	Thank you for your assistance.  Perhaps I did not make one point
clear, and your concern (e.g. not inclouding Burma, New Zealand, etc.) is
indeed important.  I believe UNESCO/Discovery Channel are preparing the
first series of 12 or so examples, and the project will eventually cover
much wider areas of the world, although I am not clear about how they have
selected those areas to be included in the first of the series.   Best,
Akira

>It is unfortunate that  UNESCO/Discovery Channel aren't interested in
>Burma, as there are so many endangered minority languages there, and
>several of the groups have been making efforts to preserve their
>languages and cultures, e.g. the Rawang Literature and Culture Commitee
>(in Putao) and the Mon Culture and Literature Survival Project (short
>discription given below; it may also be of interest to members of this
>list in general).
>
>All the best,
>Randy J. LaPolla, PhD
>Associate Professor of Linguistics
>Dept. of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics
>City University of Hong Kong
>Tat Chee Ave., Kowloon
>HONG KONG
>
>ctrandy at cityu.edu.hk or Randy.LaPolla at cityu.edu.hk