ELL: response to WSJ editorial

coyotez coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Apr 19 16:29:53 UTC 2002

Klahowya all,

As  non-linguist, yet a Native American whose language is extinct, I agree
with Linda. In my culture, its all related, interrelated, and if languages are
to be saved, it will take people working on many fronts to do so. It is in the
Indigenous communities, whereever they are located, that most languages will
be restored and they will likely spearhead the struggle for saving their
languages. Thank you all for taking this issue to heart.

David Lewis, Kalapuya

  I see this list as a useful forum for refining our
>own expression of these ideals.  If *we* aren't willing to discuss it, why
>should we think anyone else would be?
>
>I'd be interested in seeing Doug's answer to Randy's question.
>
>Linda
>
>On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Coelho wrote:
>
>> At 07:07 AM 4/19/02 -0400, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
>>
>> >Lets not waste each others' limited social tolerence bugets on the
>> >merits of Settler Ideologies, neh?
>> >
>> >Jeez, the WSJ editorial page. How irrelevent.
>>
>> I thought it *was* interesting and relevant, even if most of us disagree
>> with the WSJ editorial .... And it might be better to have an unlimited
>> social tolerance budget -- at least in listening to different viewpoints
>> and understanding underlying motivations.
>>
>> Gail
>>
>> ----
>> Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au
>> Web pages http://cleo.murdoch.edu.au/lists/endangered-languages-l/