ELL: Re: Additional suggestion to UNESCO/Discovery

Akira Y. Yamamoto akira at KU.EDU
Fri Apr 26 13:49:10 UTC 2002

To ELLers:
	What I forwarded to you all is a part of my obligation to report to
you what has been "suggested" by ELLers, but the final report submitted to
the UNESCO/Discovery Project does NOT include everything.  As one ELLer
comments:

We absolutely CANNOT allow the politicization of the UNESCO effort --
otherwise we will lose ALL SCIENTIFIC LEGITIMACY. Like Amnesty
International, the only way we can truly advocate for endangered
languages is NOT TO TAKE POLITICAL SIDES.

Absolutely.  So, please don't panick.  I do understand what is important
and what is not important.   I do NOT act simly on my own "biased"
decision.  It's BEST you don't react to this last message I sent you, but
instead DO look at the list I sent you as attachment.  Akira

>Akira Y. Yakimoto wrote:
>
> >A suggestion: Include Israeli Hebrew.  Yes, there are six plus million
>native speakers, but with the massive effort on the part of the Muslim
>world, the European Union, and Leftist Intellectuals everywhere to
>delegitimize Israel and drive this flegeling nation out of its native
>Middle East, Hebrew as a living language truly is endangered.  Hebrew, of
>course, is native only to this one tiny strip of land, and happens to be
>the only language endangered by such universal prejudice and intense
>genocidal hatred.
>
>I don't believe Mr. Yakimoto does understand the European Union, nor
>Leftist Intellectuals like for instance myself. There's a widespread
>feeling in Europe that the troubles in the Middle East should come to an
>end through a true peace, which of course would mean that Israel would
>abide with Resolution 242, and that the Arab world would officially
>recognize Israel as a legitimate state. It's as simple as that. So it's
>utter nonsense saying there's some 'universal prejudice and intense
>genocidal hatred' against the state of Israel, endangering Hebrew.
>

>Lucas Husgen

Akira Y. Yamamoto
The University of Kansas
Department of Anthropology