ELL: Re: Dialects and languages

Joan Smith/Kocamahhul j.smithkocamahhul at LING.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Mon Apr 29 23:41:42 UTC 2002

Jonathan Bobaljik and Rob Pensalfini cited this saying (a language is a
dialect with an army and a navy) in their intro to Papers on language
endangerment and the maintenance of linguisitc diversity (MIT working
papers in Linguistics, 1996, pg 2), but they don't give a reference for
it.

Joan

--
Joan Smith/Kocamahhul