ELL: SIL's religion

coyotez coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Apr 30 00:41:14 UTC 2002

Dennis,
Thanks for supplying the reference, I have the book, but the title and authors
had escaped me. I appologize if it seemed as though I overgeneralized, but the
nature of the discussion was overgeneralizing in itself. Of course not all SIL
members nor all evangelists are engaged in such activities but I think that
what is important is that we all learn a lesson from the past. The possibility
that actions of Corporations and evangelists might have help destroy languages
is enough for me to be very wary. As a scientist I must continue to question
the research and actions of my fellow scientists, and take what is know
further. Other cases have been proven and so, on an individual basis, all such
questions must be weighed.
Thanks for listening,
David

Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au