ELL: Re: Dialects and languages

Robert Moore rem10us at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 30 00:33:45 UTC 2002

It was the late Max Weinreich (brother of Uriel
Weinreich, author of the great _Languages in Contact_
[The Hague: Mouton, 1953]) who long ago said that a
language was a dialect with an army and a navy.  I
don't have a reference to hand, but am certain that
the phrase is his.

Max Weinreich, by the way, helped to found the YIVO
cultural institute, dedicated to the study and
preservation of Yiddish-language learning, performing
arts, and literature -- one of the earliest of all
such "communities of concern" organized around an
"endangered" linguistic variety (in this case, Yiddish
in the US, specifically the Lower East Side of New
York).

YIVO still exists and is active in New York ("Google"
it and find out).

Robert Moore
Brooklyn, NY

--- Joan Smith/Kocamahhul