ELL: SIL's religion

Trond Trosterud trond.trosterud at HUM.UIT.NO
Tue Apr 30 09:50:31 UTC 2002

>I was not with the list in spetember '99. I'm not a professional linguist,
>I just have a sincere interest in the problems concerning endangered
>languages, and I just wanted to know what the list might think about the
>allegations I read in this (probably our most reliable) Dutch newspaper.

No accusations on my part :-)

And you don't need to be alinguist to read our debate back-then, you just
click on the archive link below and find september 99.

The shrt version: some of us were very much against SIL, others supporters.
I like to see myself as a third position, being an atheist strongly
critical of SIL´s missionary work, still recognising that they are the
world´s largest, most important linguistics fieldwork organisation, and
that they do a good, professional job. (would you stay 20 years in Papua
new Guinea? for me, the question is in a way irrelevant. Even if I didn´t
have a family, I would not be able to get funding for doing so. But the
missionaries in SIL get their funding, and they go).

And the answer to your question is in the sept 99 archive, anyway.

Thus, feel free to take the discussion from there and onwards.

Trond Trosterud                                     t +47 7764 4763
Samisk institutt, Det humanistiske fakultet         m +47 950 70140
N-9037 Universitetet i Tromsø, Noreg                f +47 7764 4239
Trond.Trosterud at hum.uit.no           http://www.hum.uit.no/a/trond/

Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au