ELL: Wall Street Journal editorial

Akira Y. Yamamoto akira at KU.EDU
Sun Mar 31 01:48:11 UTC 2002

Excellent comments, thank you, Claire and all.  All these discussions and
comments lead us to an important task for us: we need to make the general
public, as well as those who have influence on policy making including
media people, aware of the ethnolinguistic or minority language situations,
of the cultural and intellectual values of languages, and of sheer pleasure
(not pain) of having diverse languages among us.  To begin with, the
following organizations may be the places to do such work -- in addition
there are a number of excellent conferences organized (e.g. on language
policies).

UNESCO has supported a number of cultural preservation projects throughout
the world.  They have also encouraged preservation and development of
minority languages.  Contact:
	Madame Noriko Aikawa, Chief of Section
	Intangible Cultural Heritage Section
	UNESCO
	7, Place de Fontenoy
	75700 Paris
	France
	Tel: 33-1 45 68 45 19; Fax: 33-1 42 73 04 01

Deutsche Gesellschaft f殲 Sprachwissenschaft. Arbeitsgruppe Bedrohte
Sprachen. [Contact: Hans-J殲gen Sasse, Chair, University of K嗟n.
<am015 at rsl.rrz.Uni-Koeln.de>]
Purpose is to draw attention to endangered languages and their
documentation; to promote field work in graduate curricula; and to develop
sources of support for endangered language field work.

Foundation for Endangered Languages. [Contact: Dr. Nicholas Ostler,
President, Batheaston Villa, 172 Bailbrook Lane, Bath, BA1 7AA, England;
Phone +44-1225-85-2865; Fax: +44-1225-85-9258;
<nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk>]
The Foundation supports, enables, and assists the documentation, protection
and promotion of endangered languages.

TERRALINGUA. [Contact: Dr. Luisa Maffi, President, Department of
Psychology, Northwestern University, 102 Swift Hall, 2029 Sheridan Road,
Evanston, Illinois 60208-2710, <maffi at nwu.edu>; Dr. David Harmon,
Secretary, The George Wright Society, P.O. Box 65, Hancock, Michigan
49930-0065, <gws at portage1.portup.com>]
TERRALINGUA is the name of a nonprofit, nongovernmental international
organization devoted to preserving the worldユs linguistic diversity, and to
investigating parallels and links between biological and cultural diversity.

The Endangered Language Fund. [Dr. Doug Whalen, President; Department of
Linguistics, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520;
<whalen at haskins.yale.edu>]
Nonprofit organization devoted to the scientific study of endangered
languages; the support of community-initiated preservation efforts; the
broader dissemination of the linguistic results of these efforts.

Akira Y. Yamamoto
The University of Kansas
Department of Anthropology
Fraser Hall 622