ELL: Wall Street Journal editorial

Luisa Maffi maffi at TERRALINGUA.ORG
Sat Mar 30 15:13:57 UTC 2002

Thanks, Akira, for mentioning Terralingua. I'd only like to make
people on this list aware that the information should be updated as
follows:

TERRALINGUA. [Contact: Dr. Luisa Maffi, President, Terralingua. 1766
Lanier Place NW, Washington, DC 20009, USA, <maffi at terralingua.org>;
Mr. David Harmon, Treasurer, Terralingua, P.O.Box 122, Hancock, MI
49930-0122, <dharmon at terralingua.org>.] TERRALINGUA is the name of a
nonprofit, nongovernmental international organization devoted to
preserving the world's linguistic diversity, and to investigating
parallels and links between biological and cultural diversity.

>Excellent comments, thank you, Claire and all.  All these
>discussions and comments lead us to an important task for us: we
>need to make the general public, as well as those who have influence
>on policy making including media people, aware of the
>ethnolinguistic or minority language situations, of the cultural and
>intellectual values of languages, and of sheer pleasure (not pain)
>of having diverse languages among us.  To begin with, the following
>organizations may be the places to do such work -- in addition there
>are a number of excellent conferences organized (e.g. on language
>policies).
>
>UNESCO has supported a number of cultural preservation projects
>throughout the world.  They have also encouraged preservation and
>development of minority languages.  Contact:
>	Madame Noriko Aikawa, Chief of Section
>	Intangible Cultural Heritage Section
>	UNESCO
>	7, Place de Fontenoy
>	75700 Paris
>	France
>	Tel: 33-1 45 68 45 19; Fax: 33-1 42 73 04 01
>
>Deutsche Gesellschaft f? Sprachwissenschaft. Arbeitsgruppe Bedrohte
>Sprachen. [Contact: Hans-J?gen Sasse, Chair, University of K?n.
><am015 at rsl.rrz.Uni-Koeln.de>]
>Purpose is to draw attention to endangered languages and their
>documentation; to promote field work in graduate curricula; and to
>develop sources of support for endangered language field work.
>
>Foundation for Endangered Languages. [Contact: Dr. Nicholas Ostler,
>President, Batheaston Villa, 172 Bailbrook Lane, Bath, BA1 7AA,
>England; Phone +44-1225-85-2865; Fax: +44-1225-85-9258;
><nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk>]
>The Foundation supports, enables, and assists the documentation,
>protection and promotion of endangered languages.
>
>TERRALINGUA. [Contact: Dr. Luisa Maffi, President, Department of
>Psychology, Northwestern University, 102 Swift Hall, 2029 Sheridan
>Road, Evanston, Illinois 60208-2710, <maffi at nwu.edu>; Dr. David
>Harmon, Secretary, The George Wright Society, P.O. Box 65, Hancock,
>Michigan 49930-0065, <gws at portage1.portup.com>]
>TERRALINGUA is the name of a nonprofit, nongovernmental
>international organization devoted to preserving the world?s
>linguistic diversity, and to investigating parallels and links
>between biological and cultural diversity.
>
>The Endangered Language Fund. [Dr. Doug Whalen, President;
>Department of Linguistics, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520;
><whalen at haskins.yale.edu>]
>Nonprofit organization devoted to the scientific study of endangered
>languages; the support of community-initiated preservation efforts;
>the broader dissemination of the linguistic results of these efforts.
>
>>Dear all,
>>
>>>  Just a few comments:
>>>  1. we can be definitely sure that more people "out there" (in the "real"
>>>  world, not in this list) prefer Bic Mac to grub. We have an
>>>objective proof:
> [...]

Luisa Maffi (Ph.D.)
President
Terralingua: Partnerships for Linguistic and Biological Diversity
1766 Lanier Place NW, Washington, DC 20009, U.S.A.
Phone/Fax: +1.202.9866139
Email: maffi at terralingua.org
Internet: www.terralingua.org