ELL: political implications

Anthony McCann mccannat at SI.EDU
Thu Oct 3 19:36:43 UTC 2002

Julia writes:

<However, I would still maintain that it is it important to
promote
diversity, because the value of speaking more than one
language, or of
having more than one culture in a society, is still not
accepted by all;>

Provisionally perhaps, but in the long term that strategy
limits such efforts to a defensive position. Unfortunately,
in 'statecraft' that is often the only position available.
If we are to think in more positive, affirmative terms about
what we are at then we need find ways to champion language
and concepts that are not defined negatively, as
oppositional. Instead of promoting 'diversity', which
effectively renders us powerless in statal or interstatal
discourse because discussions of power are largely occluded
by the concept (as they are in the concept of 'equality')
(thereby celebrating relativism while maintaining the status
quo), why can we not be more explicit about what kind of
power relations we wish to promote as helpful, what ways of
respect and dignity we are trying to champion among people,
while also identifying those power strategies we find
unhelpful. This latter point requires us to acknowledge that
to identify the power strategies of others that we find
damaging is also a challenge to ourselves to identify those
same techniques and patterns within our own lives.

All the best

Anthony
http://www.beyondthecommons.com
----