ELL: Re: Re:Journalist writing article about language preservation

Julia Sallabank julia at TORTEVAL.DEMON.CO.UK
Sun Sep 1 21:26:11 UTC 2002

The organisation Terralingua, which I think Luisa Maffi is involved with, has a website http://www.terralingua.org/. Terralingua is a partnership for linguistic and biological diversity, and is specifically concerned with linking language preservation and biodiversity. The website includes information about their projects.

Best wishes

Julia
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Emily McEwan-Fujita
  To: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au
  Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 7:19 PM
  Subject: ELL: Re:Journalist writing article about language preservation

  Angelique,

  On this topic, Nancy Dorian just recommended to me the following edited volume:

  Luisa Maffi, ed.  On Biocultural Diversity: Linking Language, Knowledge, and the Environment
  Washington: Smithsonian Institute Press, 2001.

  Nancy pointed out that since the papers are from a 1996 conference, their focus on biodiversity and linguistic diversity predates that of David Crystal and Nettle and Romaine.

  Hope this helps,

  Emily McEwan-Fujita

  Dept. of Anthropology
  University of Chicago