ELL: Lost for Words: BBC Radio 4 Series

Nicholas Ostler nostler at CHIBCHA.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Sep 24 14:44:36 UTC 2002

Tomorrow (Wednesday 25 Sept.) there is to be the first in a series of
three  documentaries on endangered languages from 11 to 11.30 am
(British Summer Time). broadcast on BBC Radio 4.

It is described in this week's "The Guide" in The Guardian:

"Lost for Words" reports on the death of linguistic diversity
currently taking place at a shocking rate across the globe.  There
are around 6,000 languages, but roughly every 2 weeks another
language dies.  Gavin Esler visits places where languages are under
threat, hearing dialects from Australia, Ireland, Africa and Hawaii
and tries to find out what can be done to turn the tide.

I have no inside information on this programme, and had no part in
recording it, but I have heard that it will contain a fair number of
recordings of speech in different endangered languages.

I presume the next two instalments will occur at the same time in
following weeks.  I am informed that the producer was Amber Dawson
<amber.dawson at bbc.co.uk> .

Of course, it will be available on the BBC web-site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
somewhere, after the broadcast.

                        Nicholas  Ostler
              Foundation for Endangered Languages