ELL: Re: Lost for Words: BBC Radio 4 Series

Julia Sallabank julia at TORTEVAL.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Sep 25 17:32:00 UTC 2002

I have taped this if anyone would like a copy. Today's episode focused on
the situation in Australia, and it moves to Hawai'i next week. The issues
and arguments were ones that we on this list are probably all familiar with,
but it was sympathetic coverage and well presented. Experts David Crystal,
Daniel Nettle and Rob Amery were interviewed, but the majority of the time
was given over to speakers of Aboriginal languages.

One speaker made a point that I could identify with. He said that although
English was his first language, he had never felt that it was his native
language, and now he was reclaiming his own language and finding it very
fulfilling. I think that a major argument for keeping small languages is
that they fulfil an affective need that 'languages of wider communication'
do not. People say about the language I'm studying, 'Guernesiais is
wonderful', or 'I can't help smiling when I speak it'. Have you ever heard
anyone say that about English?

Best wishes
Julia