Aboriginal Languages

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Wed Aug 27 15:58:17 UTC 2003

DO ABORIGINAL LANGUAGES DESERVE OFFICIAL STATUS? Aboriginal Peoples
Television Network Fri Aug 29 > 8 pm et / 5 pt

This week on the 'Best of Contact,' we look at whether Aboriginal languages
receive the respect and support they deserve.  With about 60 Aboriginal
languages spoken in Canada today, many at risk of dying out forever, native
groups want laws to protect and promote their revival.

But Canada's Official Languages Act only recognizes French and English.
Every year, Canada spends at least $450 million on French services and
education (though another estimate says it's much higher at $1.7 billion).
Should Aboriginal languages not get the same treatment? Does the government
have an obligation to bring back what it once tried to destroy through
residential schools? Or are the costs just too high?

Tune in this Friday at 8 pm et (5 pt) as we ask 'Do Aboriginal Languages
Deserve Official Status?'

[orig. air date: Feb 21, 2003]

Visit our discussion forum at http://www.aptn.ca/en/Community/index_html