ENDANGERED-LANGUAGES-L Digest - 1 Dec 2003 to 2 Dec 2003 (#2003-52)

Darjel at AOL.COM Darjel at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 4 01:31:59 UTC 2003

In a message dated 12/3/2003 9:20:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
brody at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU writes:
One claim I occasionally hear tossed at Scottish Gaelic is
>that Gaelic's high level of illiteracy (50$ of the 60,000
>Gaelic speakers are unable to read and write proficiently in
>the language) makes it highly unusual, as well as primitive
>and unsustainable.

Probably 30 pounds sterling of the 60,000. A lot of native Americans
among countless others might like to counter that position.