correction on the house of small languages

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Feb 11 22:43:01 UTC 2004

Dear Friends,

I want to respond to the message below from
Patrick-Henri Burgaud. A web resource on
endangered languages that provides accurate
information is to be welcomed. However, if you go
to Burgaud's site you may notice that the
Australian section has the most peculiar
statements splashed across it. This is a result
of representations made to Patrick-Henri Burgaud
by myself and David Nathan requesting Burgaud to
remove misappropriated material related to
Australian languages from his site. A letter to
SSILA on the topic can be found in the SSILA
buletin Number 147: September 22, 2001.
http://linguistics.buffalo.edu/ssila/bulletins/bulletin/bull147.PDF.

In my case, Burgaud took some pages from my
Handbook of Western Australian Aboriginal
languages rather than linking to them, and
reduced the information that was presented about
them in his work of art.

While the situation could have been remedied by
Burgaud acknowledging sources and  removing
photographs of individuals, Burgaud chose to
close off that section of his site, which is, of
course his prerogative.

He further accuses linguists of holding on to
material that he suggests should be made freely
available:

>"Peu leur importe que les langues et ceux qui
>les parlent meurent. Assis sur leur matériel
>linguistique comme un avare sur son tas d'or,
>ils interdisent toute diffusion d'information au
>nom de leur notion étroite du copyright. Ils
>estiment que les richesses sonores qu'ils ont
>ramassées partout parce qu'elles sont à tout le
>monde leur appartiennent une fois mises dans
>leurs boîtes, articles, thèses, colloques."
>
>"It is of little concern to the ones in
>authority that the languages and those who speak
>them are threatened with extinction. Confortably
>seated on their lingustic material, like a
>Scrooge on his pile of gold coins, they will
>forbid any spread of information because their
>narrow sense of copyright. They consider that
>the sonorous treasures gathered by them
>everywhere, because they are for everybody,
>belong to them once they are contained in boxes,
>papers, theses, and colloqies."
>http://www.houseofthesmalllanguages.org/txts/closed.htm

This is offensive and indicates a lack of
understanding of the complexities of intellectual
propery issues that we enter into when we record
indigenous languages. This material is not 'for
everybody' it is available subject to the wishes
of the people recorded.

I am grateful to Mr Burgaud for bringing these
important issues into the public domain.

Nicholas Thieberger

Project Manager
PARADISEC
Pacific And Regional Archive for DIgital Sources in Endangered Cultures
http://www.paradisec.org.au

nickt at paradisec.org.au
Department of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
University of Melbourne
Vic 3010
Australia