Mobilizing For Justice (event)

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Fri Jul 2 16:51:50 UTC 2004

The Pitt River Tribe and the International Indian Treaty Council NEEDS
YOUR SUPPORT.

On July 7-11, 2004, the Pitt River Tribe is hosting the International
Indian Treaty Council’s 30th Anniversary Conference, “Indigenous Nations
Mobilizing For Justice, Sovereignty and Protection of Sacred Homelands”,
near Fall River Mills, CA., in furthering our efforts to protect
Saht-Tit-Lah (known to Pitt River people as Obsidian Knife Lake. aka as
Medicine Lake).

The primary goal of the Conference is to build support for Pitt River
and other Indigenous Nations’ current struggle to protect our sacred
Medicine Lake, used since the beginning of time when the creator bathed
and left great powers there. It is currently targeted for geothermal
energy development by the Calpine Energy Corporation, backed by $50
million in California Energy Commission state subsidies. A proposed
Calpine industrial complex in our pristine Medicine Lake Highlands would
produce 18 tons of toxic hydrogen sulfide gas each year, and other heavy
metals such as arsenic and mercury. The Pitt River Nation and others
have filed lawsuits against Calpine Energy Corporation to halt the
proposed mining plans. A boycott of all consumer items linked to Calpine
is underway, as well as a shareholder divestment strategy.

Other panels and presentations will focus on: defending cultural rights;
treaties and land rights, environmental protection; right to food and
food sovereignty; subsistence rights and impacts of environmental
contamination; youth organizing; international work for the rights of
Indigenous Peoples; and struggles for recognition and restoration of
land rights by California Indian Nations which have been terminated by
the United States government.

Participants will include Indigenous leaders from throughout the United
States and Canada, as well as Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, Guatemala, New
Zealand, Panama, India, Africa and Peru. In will also include Indigenous
members of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, the UN Committee
for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination and the Organization of
American States.

The Conference site is outside and lots of camping area available. We
will provide all meals during the conference time. Also, we will be
running to Saht-Tit-Lah on Wednesday (July 7) morning to let the lake
know we are having this gathering.

WE NEED PEOPLE AND WE NEED MORE HELP in volunteering for security,
daycare, assisting elders, translation, sweats, watching fire, making
water runs, kitchen, etc. Due to the shortness of this request, you can
get more information by logging on to IITC’s web page at:
www.treatycouncil.org or call the Pitt River Tribal Office at (530)
335-5421. I will attach the latest agenda for your review.

With Respect,

Radley Davis, Illmawi Councilman
Pitt River Nation

(FYI: The Pitt River Tribal Nation is opposed to the current Rainbow
Gathering being held in our country and we have a Resolution to that
effort directed at the Federal Agencies who issued permits for such a
gathering in the Hammawi Territory)