Vanishing Heritage (Language)

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Tue Jul 13 16:12:24 UTC 2004

Native Americans Strive to Retain Vanishing Heritage

Deborah Block
Browning, Montana
http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=C03EAA9D-8CB0-49BB-88095305F37D3F85#

Watch video on the Blackfeet Native American school  (RealVideo)

For the indigenous peoples of America, the Lewis and Clark expedition
brought publicity that led to a massive influx of people into their
native lands. The Blackfeet Indian nation of Montana is one of those
native American tribes trying to teach its children about their
language and culture, before the old ways completely disappear.

Ernie Heavyrunner

Ernie Heavyrunner teaches three to five-year-olds some words in the
Blackfeet language. He shows them the colors of traffic signals and
what they mean. He says since so many Blackfeet no longer speak the
language, efforts are being made to reach the children, even at a young
age. "It's important for their identity," says the teacher. "It's
important for them to know who they are, where they came from, and
their language helps them to know this."

The children sing in the Blackfeet language at a private elementary
school on the Blackfeet reservation in Browning, Montana. The school,
which is part of a non-profit organization known as the Piegan
Institute, hopes to revitalize the language.

Darrell Kipp

The small school opened almost 10 years ago, and teaches about 30
students each year. They not only learn Blackfeet, but also take part
in a full elementary school curriculum. Darrell Kipp, founder of the
Institute, says he thinks the students do well in both Blackfeet and
English.

"The fact is that our students come here and speak our language
exclusively each day - English isn't allowed in the classrooms during
the day. So all instruction is in our language," says Mr. Kipp. "Yet,
our students are more articulate and better English speakers than their
public school peers."

The Blackfeet is the largest tribe in Montana and probably got its name
from the blackened moccasins the people used to wear. The reservation
borders Glacier National Park. The Blackfeet owned the land that became
the park until 1895, when they sold it to the U.S. government.

The Blackfeet children at the Piegan Institute are being taught a
language that most of their parents and grandparents did not have the
opportunity to learn. In the past, to discourage Indians from speaking
their native tongues, the U.S. government sent Native American children
to boarding and missionary schools far from their family and friends.

Cynthia Kipp

Among them was Piegan Institute volunteer Cynthia Kipp [not related to
Darrell Kipp], who went to a school outside Montana. "I always wanted
to learn and I yearned to speak Blackfeet," says Ms. Kipp. "I always
felt there was something missing in my life and that it wasn't
complete."

Some of her other family members are also involved with the school. Her
daughter, Joycelyn Des Rosier, a teacher, says she first had to learn
the Blackfeet language before she could help the students. She says the
school encourages the children to think creatively.

For example, at a staff meeting, she shows a picture a young student
drew about the story of a wolf. "This wolf is looking for something
that is already dead. He's going to take it home to cook," she
explained. "Another kid told the student, 'But wolves don't know how to
cook.' I told her, 'It's OK, your wolf can cook.'"

Joycelyn says Blackfeet is also spoken at her home, including by her son
Michael, who attends the Piegan Institute school. "We practice quite a
bit. And a lot of his friends who come from this school, we make them
also speak [Blackfeet]," she says. "We pray everyday in our language.
And we give all the commands and everything, so that I can remember,
and I wake them all up in Blackfoot."

Michael

Michael, whose Native American name is Eagle Bear, says he enjoys
learning about his cultural heritage. "I like learning Blackfeet. And I
like art, and drawing, and reading and writing, but I don't like math,"
he laughs.

Darrell Kipp says the students learn about their ancestors. They are
also taught about the Lewis and Clark expedition, including from the
Native American point of view.

He says many Indians are commemorating rather than celebrating the 200th
anniversary of the journey. One reason, he says, is because Native
Americans went through tremendous hardship after publicity from the
expedition brought an influx of people out West.

"Tribes lost enormous land, lost enormous amounts of their homeland," he
explains. "They suffered a lot of the influx of diseases that decimated
their populations. They were subject to a dominant government. They
were ultimately placed on reservations."

Mr. Kipp says despite the hardships of the past, and problems that
continue today, the Piegan Institute is looking toward the future. He
says while many indigenous languages around the world are disappearing,
he hopes the Blackfeet language will continue and endure.

"Well, it is our dream, and our hope, and our vision many years from
now, when we've all left this wonderful place, that those children that
are in our schools will be parents and grandparents," he says "and that
our language will continue to be used by them and that we'll be
probably one of the few tribal languages on this earth that continue to
exist."