Wales

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Fri Jul 30 18:14:46 UTC 2004

NSW REVIVES INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES AT SCHOOL

30.7.2004. 17:35:37
http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=90523&region=7

Students across New South Wales will be able to study an Aboriginal
language under changes to the state education curriculum.

The Minister for Education and Aboriginal Affairs, Andrew Refshauge,
launched the policy today at Darlington Primary School in Sydney, where
many students are studying Wiradjuri.

Mr Refshauge says students from kindergarten to year 10 will be affected
by the changes, which are an attempt to preserve and revitalise the
state's 70 Aboriginal languages.

The curriculum was piloted earlier this year in six schools statewide,
and Mr Refshauge says it has already had a number of un-looked for
benefits.

"And that is Aboriginal children themselves who've studied it find
school more relevant and therefore their attendance rate is better.

"It also means, following the increased attendance rate, their own
school achievement is improving as well, so it's having a direct
benefit - for Aboriginal students who take these language courses - on
their other subjects as well."

A youth worker in Sydney's indigenous centre of Redfern, Richard Green,
says the program is an exciting step towards reviving the indigenous
cultures of Australia's eastern coast.

"Sydney Wiradjuri dialect; Badjalang; Gidabal; Gumbainggirr; Gamilaraay.

"If we could be speaking all these lingos, we could be speaking all
along the east coast.

"Let's walk into the future and make a difference.

"We've got a tongue, let's start speaking it."

Under the program, a new syllabus will be introduced from next year,
with Aboriginal communities working closely with schools in the
development and delivery of the new curriculum.

SOURCE: Radio News

--

André Cramblit: andre.p.cramblit.86 at alum.dartmouth.org is the Operations
Director Northern California Indian Development Council NCIDC