MAGARS, MAGYARS, MUGARS & MOGHULS

Andrew Shimunek shenanzhu at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 22 05:45:04 UTC 2005

Hello,

 There are also the Moghol (or Mogholi as they are
called in Persian) people living mostly in the Herat
province of Afghanistan. They are descendents of the
Negüderi Qara'una clan of the Mongols, who in occupied
the area in the 13th century, and their ethnonym is
certainly derived from the Mongol word /mongGol/
'Mongol' (where /G/ indicates an uvular stop and /ng/
a velar nasal).
 In the 1970s, there were a small number of Moghol
elders who could still speak the language, and from
fieldwork data collected around that time by the
German scholar Michael Weiers we know that their
language is a rather conservative Mongolic language,
preserving for example certain diphthongs and the
voiceless aspirated uvular stop [q] of Middle
Mongolian.
 As to the present language situation, it is unclear;
even Weiers does not know if speakers still exist.

Andrew Shimunek