Fwd: media project on endangered languages

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Tue May 31 16:37:34 UTC 2005

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dennis W. Zotigh" <dzotigh at ok-history.mus.ok.us>
Date: May 31, 2005 8:11:41 AM PDT
To: <byrge at final-cut.dk>, <andrekar at ncidc.org>
Subject: media project on endangered languages

 Dear Sirs,

I have been working on documenting language loss and preservation
initiatives with the 39 Oklahoma tribes of the United States.
Historically, 67 tribes from throughout the United States and Canada
were removed from their homelands and placed in Indian Territory (what
is now Oklahoma). Today there are 39 tribal headquarters within our
state boundaries. This provides a unique opportunity for researchers
because we have tribes that were relocated here, whose homelands
spanned across America.

My research of language loss in Oklahoma is considered by many to be
currently the most up to date.  In my field studies, I have found there
were 8 Oklahoma tribes who have no fluent speakers within their tribal
membership. Last month another elder died, making that statistic 9
Oklahoma tribes who have no fluent tribal language speakers. In
addition, 10 Oklahoma tribes are one generation away from losing their
language.

"We are in the greatest era of American Indian lanuage extinction in
history!" I am a strong proponent of getting this message out to the
international public.

I have spoken nationally and internationally on American Indian
culture. If I can be of any assistance in your Voices of the World
project,  please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dennis W. Zotigh
American Indian Research Historian
Oklahoma Historical Society
and
Powwow Cultural Advisor
Smithsonian  National Museum of the American Indian

___