Language In America

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Tue Apr 4 13:51:02 UTC 2006

LIVE CHAT:
Topic: Language: Mission Critical

Where: http://www.edweek-chat.org/
When: Wednesday, April 5, from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time

Please join us for a live Web chat about foreign-lanuage education in
the United States.  Our guests, EDUCATION WEEK Associate Editor
Kathleen Kennedy Manzo and Assistant Editor Mary Ann Zehr will
discuss their special series, "Language: Mission Critical."

Both in the United States and abroad, political, business, and
education leaders are urging greater attention to teaching children
foreign languages to help bolster international competitiveness, and
in some cases, national security. Even if the message is getting
through to classrooms, often the resources aren't.

In this chat, our guests will field questions about the obstacles to
expanding and improving such offerings as well as innovative
approaches to building students' language skills.

The first two installments of the series are online here:
http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2006/03/29/29mismatch.h25.html
and the third will be available online April 12.

Join us for this special chat with two of EDUCATION WEEK's most
respected journalists.

Submit questions here:
http://www.edweek-chat.org/question.php3

No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to
participate in this text-based chat. A transcript will be posted
shortly after the completion of the chat.