Language Survival

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Sun Apr 16 13:04:04 UTC 2006

Nearly half of the more than 6,000 languages spoken in the world are
in danger of extinction. And leading the world's epidemic of
disappearing dialects is the U.S. state of California. This weekend,
members of 40 tribes from around the state met with linguists to
discuss the challenges of saving those endangered languages

More than half of the over one hundred native California tongues have
disappeared. Many others have only a few, aging speakers. When this
last fluent generation dies, languages spoken by Californians over
centuries, will also die. At a recent gathering of some 200 Native
Americans struggling to maintain their dialects, Robert Geary
remembered driving in his car, listening to a tape of his long-
deceased great uncle speaking the native Elém Pomo language. "I was
so lost hearing my language that I was doing 80 [mph] and I didn't
even know it. I got a [speeding] ticket, yeah, I got a ticket."

Click to read the rest of the article, use your back button to return
to this page:

http://www.voanews.com/english/AmericanLife/2006-03-30-voa46.cfm