Thesaurus of endangered languages

Paul Hoffman hoffman at SIMMONS.EDU
Mon Feb 6 18:10:04 UTC 2006

Do you get frustrated when using LLBA and other periodical indexes?

Is the LLBA thesaurus adequate, or do you find yourselves stymied by
subject descriptors that are too general, stilted, or just plain wrong?

If so, I'd like to help.

My name is Paul Hoffman and I'm finishing up a Master's degree in
Library and Information Science at Simmons College in Boston.  I'm
selecting a major term project this semester in which I'm hoping to
create a thesaurus -- a controlled vocabulary of interrrelated subject
terms -- relating to all the multidisciplinary facets of endangered
languages.

It's a huge task and I'm very much looking forward to it; the only
trouble is, I don't really know if there's a *need* for a new thesaurus
-- even one that's meant to augment rather than as a replacement.  If
there is such a need, great!  If not, I should work on something else
instead -- such as, perhaps, creating a "gateway" website (organized
primarily by subject) for linguistics in the field and for speakers,
learners, and teachers of endangered languages.

Any thoughts?  Unfortunately, I have to decide in the next two days.
:-(

Thanks,

Paul.

--