Dying Language

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Mon Mar 27 20:57:13 UTC 2006

The Race to Preserve a Dying Language

Tb News Source
Web Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:32 PM
http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=81531

There are fewer than 1,000 speakers of Michif in the world, and many
of them are dying faster than their words can be recorded.

Delegates from across Canada came to the Métis Nation of Ontario’s
fifth National Michif Language conference in Thunder Bay last
weekend, where Métis leaders, speakers and cultural preservationists
gathered to celebrate their language and talk about strategies for
saving it.

Métis people across Canada have been struggling to protect their
Michif language for years, and as the sun sets on the federal
government’s multi-million dollar Aboriginal Languages Initiative,
the pressure was on to move faster. The program provides funding and
support to First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities to save dying
languages.

“We all expected (the program) to continue, and now it’s uncertain,”
said Bruce Dumont, the Métis Nation minister of culture and heritage.
“It’s fitting that we’re hosting this conference in Thunder Bay,
because this area served as a rendezvous place, or a crossroads for
our forefathers. We too are at a crossroads with a new government
that is far from clear in their stance (on Aboriginal language
preservation).”

On March 31 the Aboriginal Languages Initiative ends. Allan Clarke,
director of Aboriginal Affairs for Canadian Heritage said the only
decision that will be made at that time will be whether or not to
renew the program. He said they’re very hopeful that will happen, but
if so there will be many changes.

“One program can’t be the only thing we have,” he said. “So far not
enough attention has been placed on results. We’re going to take
steps towards moving money quicker…and being more reasonable about
controls that we put on the funding. We have to be more flexible and
responsive but maintain accountability. That didn’t happen with the
ALI, but it can now.”

He said they’re looking at the next generation of programming as more
distinctive between its three major nation groups: First Nations,
Inuit and Métis. Programming and funding would be tailored to
specific needs rather than a “one-size-fits-all” policy.

For the Métis Nation, that means finding more ways to teach the
complicated language to their people and the world. Michif is a blend
of French and Cree, with many regional dialects remaining different
from one another. Besides a lack of syntactical consistency, few
Michif speakers know both Cree and French. Without standardization,
the language is difficult to explain and even harder to learn.

France Picotte of the Métis Nation of Ontario said she remembered
being a little girl and speaking what she was told was “bastard French.”

“Most people speaking it didn’t even realize it was its own
language,” she said. “They assumed many of the words were very old
French, when in fact they were very old Cree.”

Métis Nation of Ontario project coordinator Carey Calder said the
reality of the rapid decline of speakers is one that shocks them at
times.

“For example, we had the idea of having a Michif translator here to
translate everything through earpieces, and realized that just wasn’t
possible,” she said.

Calder, who is originally from Thunder Bay, doesn’t speak Michif but
said she’d love to learn. She explained that growing up her family,
like many others, downplayed their Métis heritage.

“They’d say, well you don’t even look Aboriginal, so you don’t even
have to tell anybody,” she said. “It wasn’t maybe until the last 15
years that we really started to be proud to be Métis.”

Thunder Bay has a large Métis population due to the area’s thriving
fur trade posts of the 18th and early 19th centuries. French fur
traders married local Aboriginal women and created a culture of
people who struggled with identity since the days of Louis Riel.
Often lumped into cultural and language categories with their sister
First Nations, the Métis Nation has lately been stepping up their
cultural preservation tactics.

Technology has helped; CD-ROMs and interactive websites teach Michif
to youngsters and a 24 hour Web radio station plays Métis music and
language all over the world.

Metis Nation of Ontario president Tony Balcourt said even if they
don’t get the government support they need, there’s no reason to stop
trying.

“Even if we just use tape recorders to record elders speaking, that
costs us next to nothing,” he told the crowd. “So let’s just get out
there and do it, not just talk about it.”

The House returns the first week of April, and Clarke is hoping
Canadian Heritage Minister Beverley Oda, originally from Thunder Bay,
will have good news.