Government Decision Seen As Attack On First Nations Identity

Carolyn Hepburn Carolyn.Hepburn at SAULTCOLLEGE.CA
Fri Nov 10 14:46:33 UTC 2006

Fyi item.

Thanks

Carolyn

TORONTO, Nov. 9 - The Chiefs of Ontario is calling on the Government of
Canada to honour their stated commitment to First Nation languages in
Canada. During discussions with the Minister of Canadian Heritage, Bev
Oda, First Nations were informed that the allocation of $172.5M for
Aboriginal Languages would not be disbursed as originally planned.

The Department of Canadian Heritage has already spent a significant
amount of money on the planned disbursement of this funding commitment.
In 2003, the Department of Canadian Heritage struck the Task Force on
Aboriginal Languages and Cultures to gather information on the
Aboriginal Languages situation in Canada and make recommendations on how
the funding could be most effectively allocated. The Task Force
presented their final report in July 2005 but no action has been taken.
First Nations communities across Canada have been preparing their
language work plans to implement key grassroots activities such as
immersion/bilingual programming, immersion centres, and language
resources and programs, in anticipation of the flow of this funding.

Regional Chief Angus Toulouse stated "based on this unilateral decision,
First Nations in Canada feel that the original languages of this land
are not respected or protected." In addition, the Regional Chief
explained that the First Nations governance processes, once finally
engaged, cannot be ignored and a return to a paternalistic,
colonialistic attitude by the federal government is not acceptable.
Minister Oda was quoted in the House of Commons stating that the
"current government is not of the view that this approach is the most
appropriate means of working toward the revitalization and preservation
of First Nation, Inuit and Metis Languages." Despite this attitude,
Regional Chief Toulouse indicated that First Nations "will be the
determiners of our own future and our languages are our own. We will not

The Regional Chief indicated that the preservation of First Nations
languages in Canada is not solely for the benefit of First Nations
themselves, and that a large proportion of Canadians appreciate how
First Nations languages and culture adds richness to the fabric of
Canadian society. "Our languages are at the core of who we are as First
Nations and we have constantly battled, in the face of the federal
government's assimilationist policies, to protect our languages and
cultures. The loss of our languages and cultures has led to a variety of
social crises in our communities and this unilateral decision will cause
further harm to the quality of life in our communities," said Regional
Chief Toulouse.

The Chief Commissioner of the Anishinabek, Muskegowuk and Onkwenhonwe
Language Commission, Nelson Toulouse, expressed disappointment and
frustration at the announcement made by Minister Oda in the House of
Commons. Mr. Toulouse stated "the federal government must stop paying
lip service to First Nation people and uphold their commitments. Where
is the honour of the Crown?"

Carolyn Hepburn

Director, Native Education and Training

Sault College of Applied Arts and Technology

443 Northern Avenue

Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5L3

Phone: (705) 759-2554 ext. 2499

Fax:     (705) 759-0175