Anyone familiar?

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Thu Nov 16 04:32:06 UTC 2006

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Veronica Gilhooly" <veronica.gilhooly at welho.com>
Subject: Native American Indian Languages- teaching  material

Dear recipient

My name is Veronica Gilhooly and I reside in Helsinki, Finland. I
work in
the area of language training, translations and web based resources for
teachers.

We have in the past year set up a website for teachers including 16
tools to
make worksheets with and around 2000 hand drawn pictures by 2
artists. At
the moment we offer 31 languages, and some of the tools enables
teachers to
make bilingual material as well, with or without pictures.
Some interactive games have been added as well for students to practice
vocabulary and grammar with.

www.thelanguagemenu.com (Teacher's material)

The site is free for anyone to use and download material from.
Material is
being made by teachers of different languages and our aim is to have
over 50
less spoken languages on our website within the next 6 months. There
is no
limit to the amount of languages we are able to add to the site.

As we have added most of the European languages and some Asian
languages to
the site, we have also been approached by several organisations
asking us to
develop material for less commonly use languages as well. We are now
trying
to find possible partners to work with in this area. We would now
like to
ask you if you would be interested in being a part of this project to
make
material into the Native American Indian languages more readily
available
for teachers and students. We have added fonts (UTF-8) to support
some non
latin languages, but this still needs to be updated with a larger
fontsystem
when more non latin based languages are to be added to the site.

We have an excel wordlist with around 3000 common words like nouns,
verbs
and adjectives, and pictures for these are being drawn and updated
regulary.
When this wordlist is translated to the "new" language, we can easily
add
them to our database, and the tools that uses the words (and the
pictures to
correspond with this) are ready to use within the hour after that.
What we
are looking for is someone to translate the lists to their native
language
and perhaps a person/teacher for each language to create grammar and
vocabulary material in their native language as well. This would then
be a
resource to be used by teachers anywhere for free.

We will be adding about 20 more tools and about the same amount in
different
interactive games/exercises in the next year, depending on how much
time our
collaborators have to develop the site with us. We have also found
teachers
of different languages who are wiling to create language material like
grammar and vocabulary exercises (to be added to the tool "fill in the
blank") and a lot of games to be downloaded from the material bank.
We have
already started working with English, Swedish, Danish, French, Russian,
Spanish, Romanian and Icelandic teachers who are creating material.
Discussion exercises, flash cards of diffent types, power point
presentations in different languages will be added as well in the near
future.

The website will receive a "facelift" during the month of December
when we
will add some new features and change the look of it as well, and more
material will be added.

Other institutes supporting our project:
The Finnish-Danish cultural center, The Finnish-Norwegian cultural
center
http://www.hanasaari.fi/english/index.html and the Pools Project in
Denmark
http://www.languages.dk/cooperations.html

If you would be interested in participating in this project, please
contact
me at the address/telephone numbers below.

(If this is not something you would like to be involved in, perhaps
it would
be possible for you could let me know what organisation would be the
correct
one to be in contact with?)

Best regards
Veronica