Native American Language Materials in the Labriola Center

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Thu Nov 23 20:57:46 UTC 2006

Native Voices -  Native American Language Materials in the Labriola
Center

Fred interviews Joyce Martin, Acting Curator of the Labriola National
American Indian Data Center about a special, new handmade book,
"Cherokee Phoenix, Advent of a Newspaper: the Print Shop of the Cherokee
Nation 1828-1834." by Frank Brannon.  The book focuses on the technical
aspects and history of the newspaper and Cherokee printing. They will
also discuss printed examples of the Cherokee syllabary and other
Cherokee materials including language videos, coloring books, bibles,
and popular comic books written in Cherokee and English.

We will  also learn about other native language materials, when Native
American Languages began to be written, a project to preserve and
provide access to endangered language materials, and a traveling exhibit
in the works for spring 2007.

The entire run of the Cherokee Phoenix is available on microfilm in the
Labriola Center.

For more information please visit the Labriola National American Indian
Data Center on the web at: http://www.asu.edu/lib/archives/labriola.htm

Host:
Fred McIlvain

Guest:
Joyce Martin

Episode 31
Running time: 13:05

© 2006 Arizona Board of Regents

--
Stuart Glogoff
Senior Consultant, Learning Technologies

UA Faculty and instructors! Visit my "For Faculty" webpage
http://elearn.arizona.edu/stuartg/forfaculty.html for
information on faculty websites, instructional blogs, and podcasting.