Position Vacancy in Language Documentation and Conservation

Kenneth Rehg rehg at HAWAII.EDU
Wed Oct 4 20:35:35 UTC 2006

POSITION VACANCY

ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF LINGUISTICS IN LANGUAGE
DOCUMENTATION AND CONSERVATION: The Department of Linguistics at the
University of Hawai'i at Manoa invites applications for a full-time,
tenure-track position (position no. 83078) in Language Documentation
and Conservation, to begin August 1, 2007, or as soon as possible
thereafter, pending availability of position and funding.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. in linguistics or related field. (Those
currently pursuing a Ph.D. must provide evidence that all degree
requirements will have been met by the date of hire). Applicants are
expected to have practical fieldwork experience and a demonstrated
commitment to the goals of language documentation and conservation,
as well as a high-quality research record in these areas.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Prior knowledge of one or more Asian and/or
Pacific languages would be an important asset, as would expertise in
computational methods of data manipulation, storage, and
dissemination. We are especially interested in candidates who are
willing to participate fully in the department's many language
documentation activities, and whose research and teaching interests
allow them to interact with faculty and students in the department,
in other departments, and within the community as well.

SALARY: Commensurate with experience.

TO APPLY: Send a letter of application, a copy of your CV, copies of
key, relevant publications, and three letters of recommendation to:
Chair, Department Personnel Committee, Department of Linguistics,
University of Hawai'i at Manoa, 1890 East-West Road, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA.

CLOSING DATE:  We will begin to evaluate applications and supporting
materials by December 1, 2006.

INQUIRIES: Same address as application. We regret that we cannot
accept applications via fax. E-mailed applications must be followed
by hard copy postmarked (priority mail) by December 1, 2006. (E-mail
address:
<http://mail.google.com/mail/mailto:linguist@hawaii.edu>linguist at hawaii.edu).
Please note that we cannot ensure that all e-mail or fax
communications in regard to this position will be answered.

The University of Hawai'i is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
institution. We welcome applications from qualified minorities and women.