Phraselator

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Sun Sep 3 07:18:56 UTC 2006

http://ruphus.com/blog/2006/08/29/phraselators-for-cherokee/
Phraselators for Cherokee

August 29th, 2006
CITIZEN-TIMES.com: High-tech language lessons from tribe

The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians will use a federal grant to buy
hand-held computers that translate English into Cherokee.

The computers, called Phraselators and made by Maryland-based VoxTec
International, will help the tribe teach members how to speak Cherokee.

The Phraselator is a small hand-held translation device. In the
articles I’ve read about the device, it’s mostly been used in combat
(if I recall correctly it was first developed for the military). It’s
nice to see it being used in a language preservation situation.

With about 20,000 speakers, Tsalagi, the Cherokee Language, is one of
the most-spoken Native American languages.