Language Bill Needs Letters

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Fri Sep 22 22:44:01 UTC 2006

National Indian Education Association
110 Maryland Avenue, N.E.
Suite 104
Washington, D.C. 20002
P: (202) 544-7290 / F: (202) 544-7293

September 22, 2006
Broadcast #06-056

Native Language Immersion Bill Placed on the Suspension Calendar-
NEEDS TRIBAL LETTERS OF SUPPORT TO PASS

The Esther Martinez Native American Languages Preservation Act of
2006, H.R. 4766 will be on the suspension calendar in the House of
Representatives the week of September 25th which means that the House
will vote on the bill next week. This bill will create grant programs
under the Department of Health and Human Services for Native language
survival schools, Native language nests, and Native language
restoration programs. Representative Heather Wilson, (R-NM)
introduced this legislation during NIEA’s Legislative Summit and has
been working very closely with NIEA and Indian Country to turn the
bill into law. Most recently, the House Education and Workforce
Committee held field hearing on the bill in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Co-sponsors of H.R. 4766 include Representatives Rick Renzi (R-AZ),
Tom Udall (D-NM), Steve Pearce (R-NM), and Mark Udall (D-CO).

NIEA is requesting that all tribes, tribal Education departments, and
schools express their support for this bill that will provide
critical support for our languages. A sample letter is attached to
send to your congressional delegation in both the House of
Representatives and the Senate. We have a short time frame (by
Monday) to get these letters into your congressional delegation and
leadership on the House Education and Workforce Committee and Senate
Committee on Indian Affairs. The attached letters are addressed to
the House Education and Workforce Committee and the Senate Committee
on Indian Affairs, but can be tailored to your individual
Congressional members. PLEASE have your tribes, tribal education
departments, and schools send in the letters to your congressional
representatives TODAY and MONDAY. We do not have time to lose! If you
have any questions- please feel free to contact NIEA at (202)544-7290.

Please send the letters to your congressional representatives and the
four fax #’s below.

Senate Committee on Indian Affairs fax #’s (202) 224-5429 (Majority)
and (202)228-2589 (Minority)
House Education and Workforce Committee fax #’s (202)225-9571
(Majority), and (202)226-4864 (Minority)

Please send a copy to the National Indian Education Association fax #
(202) 544-7293

Cut and paste the following text.

SAMPLE LETTER TO THE HOUSE

September __, 2006

The Honorable Howard "Buck" McKeon
Chairman
Education and the Workforce Committee
U.S. House of Representatives
2181 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

The Honorable George Miller
Ranking Member
Education and the Workforce Committee
U.S. House of Representatives
2181 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Chairman McKeon and Ranking Member Miller:

On behalf of ___________, I support H.R. 4766, the Esther Martinez
Native American Languages Preservation Act of 2006. I understand that
this bill will be on the suspension calendar in the House of
Representatives the week of September 25th. We urge the House to pass
this critical legislation.

There is a crisis loss of Native languages across the country. It is
estimated that only twenty indigenous languages will remain viable by
the year 2050. Our Native languages are not spoken anywhere else in
the world; and, if they are not preserved, they will disappear
forever. Given the rapid pace of deterioration of Native languages,
it is a race against the clock to save Native languages.

The key to stemming the loss of Native languages is by significantly
increasing support for Native American language immersion programs.
It is well proven that language immersion programs are one of the few
effective ways to create fluent speakers in Native languages.
Further, data shows that Native students who participate in an
immersion program attain higher academic success compared to their
Native peers who do not participate in these programs.

The United States should do all that it can to preserve Native
American languages as these languages played a vital role in
protecting our country during World Wars I and II. Also, as a result
of federal assimilationist policies in the early and mid-1900’s, many
Native people stopped speaking their Native languages because they
were forced to attend Bureau of Indian Affairs boarding schools that
harshly forbid the speaking of Native languages.

Currently, under existing law, the Administration for Native
Americans, Health and Human Services, administers a Native American
languages revitalization grant program under the Native American
Programs Act of 1974. H.R. 4766 would provide for expanded uses under
the current grant program to allow for Native American language
immersion grants. The language immersion grants would assist Native
communities as they work to revitalize and protect their languages
for generations to come.

We appreciate your efforts to help us save our Native American
languages and look forward to working with you to ensure that this
legislation is enacted into law.

Sincerely,

SAMPLE LETTER TO THE SENATE

September __, 2006

The Honorable John McCain Chairman Indian Affairs Committee U.S.
Senate Washington, D.C. 20510

The Honorable Byron Dorgan Vice Chairman Indian Affairs Committee
U.S. Senate Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Chairman McCain and Vice Chairman Dorgan:

On behalf of ___________, I strongly support H.R. 4766, the Esther
Martinez Native American Languages Preservation Act of 2006. I
understand that this bill will be on the suspension calendar in the
House of Representatives the week of September 25th. This bill will
likely pass the House, and we urge the Senate to pass the House bill
by unanimous consent.