Why We Can't Wait - Native Language Revitalization Address University of Arizona

Carolyn Hepburn Carolyn.Hepburn at SAULTCOLLEGE.CA
Wed Sep 27 12:18:36 UTC 2006

Fyi item.
Thanks
Carolyn

National Indian Education Association
110 Maryland Avenue, N.E.
Suite 104
Washington, D.C. 20002
P: (202) 544-7290 / F: (202) 544-7293

September 26, 2006
Broadcast #06-060

President Wilson to give major address on the Native Language
Revitalization Movement on the University of Arizona Campus today at
7:00 pm.

"Why We Can't Wait!"

The speech will be delivered to an audience of Native Students, staff,
and faculty, as well as Arizona Tribes and NIEA members on the
University of Arizona Campus in room 301 BIO Sciences building and will
air in its entirety nationally on the Nativenet.com website. A complete
transcript will be available via NIEA Broadcast next week. President
Wilson's address will come on the eve of a historic day in the United
States House of Representatives which will include floor action on H.R.
4766 The Esther Martinez Native Language Preservation Act of 2006
(scheduled for September 27th).

"I am looking forward to the address, students all over the country have
given NIEA their tremendous energy. U of A students have been actively
following NIEA this year. They are ready to be apart of history and see
this language movement through to completion," said Wilson.

Arizona is a pivotal state in the Native Language Revitalization
movement, president Wilson is expected to thank the Arizona tribes, the
Intertribal Council of Arizona, and the Navajo Nation for their
unwavering support on this critical piece of legislation.

Coming off a significant trip to Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo, home of Joe
Garcia president of the National Congress of American Indians, and home
of the late Esther Martinez for whom the bill has been renamed after her
tragic death. President Wilson said, "We can wait no more, this crucial
piece of legislation must pass in this Congress."

While in Ohkay OWingeh president Wilson, in a private ceremony, made a
tobacco offering for Esther Martinez and gave thanks for her life and
the entire Pueblo of Ohkay Owingeh for sharing her with all of Indian
Country.

After crisis crossing the Halls of Congress and Indian Country, NIEA has
taken the lead in advancing opportunities for a federal investment in
Native Immersion schools. The speech at U of A will culminate a year
long effort to do what many people thought was impossible and that is
fundamentally changing the way the federal government looks and treats
Indian education.

This event is sponsored by: American Indian Language Development
Institute (AILDI), Department of Language, Reading and Culture (LRC),
Native American Student Affairs, (NASA), American Indian Graduate
Student Council (AISGC). For more information contact AISP at (520)
621-7108.

Joe Shirley, Navajo Nation President, and Ryan Wilson, National Indian
Education Association, meet to Encourage Tribes and Congress to support
H.R.4766 The Esther Martinez Native Language Preservation Act of 2006

President Shirley joined Joe Garcia, Tex Hall, Amedeo Shije, Carl Vann,
Ernie Stensgar and other prominent National tribal leaders in Endorsing
H.R. 4766, and NIEA's efforts to elevate language revitalization as a
national priority in Indian Country.

With President Shirley's endorsement, the Navajo Nation has joined the
Intertribal Council of Arizona in getting behind H.R. 4766. The Arizona
tribes represent some of the last strong holds of fluent Native
speakers, they are now squarely behind the bill.

Shirley stated, "I have been saying throughout Navajo and throughout the
rest of Native America, culture and our way of life is inherent in our
language. If we lose the language, we lose our culture, we lose self."

Standing with President Shirley, Wilson shared, "This has to be a
national effort, not just with the organizations but with tribes. NIEA
is emboldened by the support of the Navajo Nation."

The two leaders urged action on the H.R. 4766 prior to the close of the
109th Congress. Both leaders believe with the help of Congress, Indian
country can turn back the tide in language loss. They did not stop at
urging Congress, but also urged other tribes to engage each other as
well as their state representative.

Shirley ended by saying - "Other tribal leaders know I stand with them,
we all need to stand together as Nations, as Native leaders across the
country. Only in doing so, can we truly make a difference."

An Executive Order signed by President Bush in 2004 promised assistance
for America Indian students in meeting the academic standards of the No
Child Left Behind Act "in a manner consistent with tribal traditions,
languages an cultures." According to the NIEA, this is an important step
toward - "refining No Child Left Behind so it works for Native students
in a manner that supports Native culture."

The Native American Languages Act, originally passed in 1990, reversed
long-standing government policies of eliminating Native Languages. The
act sought to preserve, protect and promote the rights and freedoms of
Native Americans to use, practice and develop Native Languages.

HR 4766 reinvigorates the NALA of 1990 with a more focused approach to
language recovery and new funding opportunities including resources for
Heritage Language/Immersion schools.

Carolyn Hepburn

Director, Native Education and Training

Sault College of Applied Arts and Technology

443 Northern Avenue

Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5L3

Phone: (705) 759-2554 ext. 2499

Fax:     (705) 759-0175