2nd Sydney Papuanists' Workshop

James McElvenny james.mcelvenny at ARTS.USYD.EDU.AU
Mon Feb 25 02:51:19 UTC 2008

2ND SYDNEY PAPUANISTS' WORKSHOP

Now calling for papers and for registration of participants.

It's been almost two years since the first Papuanists' Workshop
(summarised at http://blogs.usyd.edu.au/elac/2006/11/papuanists_workshop_wrapup.html)
  and now it's time for another. The linguistics departments at Sydney
University and in RSPAS at the ANU are organising the second
Papuanists' Workshop. It will be held on Saturday and Sunday 28-29
June 2008 at the University of Sydney, right before Lingfest gets
started (http://www.lingfest.arts.usyd.edu.au/). Anyone who has an
interest in Papuan languages and linguistics is invited to come and
present a paper or just listen to other people's papers and join in
the discussion.

Papers should be 20 or 40 mins long and on a topic related to Papuan
languages or linguistics. We're hoping to have one day dedicated to
talks on the theme of 'giving back to the community', making practical
use of our linguistic research for the benefit of the community by
such means as developing orthographies and producing educational
materials. Talks related to topics of this sort are especially welcome.

For more information on the conference, see the conference website, http://conferences.arts.usyd.edu.au/index.php?cf=19
  , which is being constantly updated.

The closing date for abstracts is 20 April 2008. To submit a title and
abstract for a paper or to register, e-mail James McElvenny at
james.mcelvenny at arts.usyd.edu.au

James McElvenny